Monday, October 21, 2013

Focus

I've talked about things I need to do before. Things like ride more. Spin on the trainer for focused workouts. Get back to lifting weights in the "off season."  Do intervals while road riding. All that good stuff. All of which, if done correctly, should result in better race results. 

I like the idea of it. Of getting regimented (to a certain degree). Of getting the bike like every single day. But then reality sets in. 

I don't have the time for that. Well, more importantly, I don't want to have the time for that. You see, if I did get myself scheduled enough to get quality rides in everyday that would mean I'm losing time somewhere else. And really, the only other place I invest time is with Annie. Sure, on most weeknights we are just sitting around watching some show or another, but we are together. If I was out riding all the time I'd only likely see her at bedtime. 

And how can I take time away from such an amazing wife?  This is the same woman who gave me the green light to start hiking the Appalachian trail. Before the school year somehow the subject came up and she said I should/could start section hiking it since I have the summers off. But more importantly, because she knows it is something I've always wanted to do. 

I'm lucky to have a wife that wants me to do the things I want to do. And yes, hiking the trail would mean time away from Annie and the puppies, but we can break it up so it's not so much time all at once. And yes, she would be ok with me training more if that is what I wanted. But I don't want to have to do one thing at the expense of others. 

Yeah, maybe I'm spoiled, but when it comes down to it all I want to do is live my life with my beautiful wife. So I'll never be a super series racer. I won't be all sponsored up and hanging our on the podium on the regular (or at all), but I'll be the first to ask if you are alright out on the trail, and the one joining you for beers and burritos afterwards. 

Life is all about living. Sometimes it sucks, and you have to make hard choices and get through some difficult times. But you'll make it if you've got the right people by your side. Take a second and look around, find those things/people that make you happy, that make you a better person, and hold on to them. 

This is not the end. It's just a slight adjustment. You'll still see me out there racing (against myself more so then anyone else) and certainly out on the trails having fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment