Monday, April 14, 2014

Frantic Friday

Friday I was to head out to the mountains for the Tarheel Trailblazers camping/riding trip right after work.  I also wanted to pick up a few "add ons" to my camping gear before heading out so I found a little time to sneak out to hit up REI during my lunch.  This weekend was going to be my first opportunity for a real testing of my new Hennessy Hammock.  Unfortunately, they didn't have what I was looking for - some climbing rings to make up setting up even faster than it already it.

Friday was extremely busy and I was pushing to get out as fast as I could, but I had a few last minute things to tie up before I could hit the road.  I was passing The Hub on the way to the campsite and wasn't sure if I should stop there first as TheMutt had arranged a special after hours gathering there for us.  I decided to hit up the campground first, maybe get set up and meet up with everyone.  As I pulled into the site people were heading out... so I left my gear and went with the group.

What could be better than bikes and beers under the same roof?


Nothing.  Nothing could be better.

We enjoyed a couple beverage, and we even did a little shopping. I got myself a very nice and light sleeping pad in preparation for some Appalachian Trail hiking.  It will not only help insulate me in the hammock, but will provide comfort if I do sleep in any shelters along the way.

We got back to camp and darkness had fallen, so I got to set up in the dark.  It added a little challenge to the quick and easy set up, but I still managed to get everything in order before joining the group around the fire.  I was greater by a piece of birthday cake as one of our crew was celebrating, well, their birthday!

The weekend had just started but it was already looking really good - bikes, beers, and meeting new people.  At the end of the night I slipped into my hammock, pulled my sleeping bag around me and enjoyed a great night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment