Friday, December 13, 2013

Be safe

Media Fridays
We'll post videos or photos that will hopefully inspire trail shredding weekends.

You have likely already seen this video floating around... and the message doesn't apply so much to the majority of those of you reading this, but it is an important message to get out to non-cyclists.  You may recall that I had scouted out the possibility of commuting by bike to work, and then that just stopped.  No, nothing happened, but it was the concern that something might that has kept me from riding to work.  

Personally, I feel that the majority of my route is ok.  No, it's not ideal, but I felt pretty good with the route.  Annie, on the other hand, wouldn't agree with that assessment.  That isn't because she "worries too much" or anything like that, if anything, it's because I don't fear the possibility of getting hit.  That isn't to say that I think I'm invincible, or that "it won't happen to me," but I do my best to ride safely and go about  my day.  In reality, the route isn't bike friendly in all spots, and some of those spots could be really dangerous if I am unlucky to meet a distracted driver at the wrong time... so, to avoid putting Annie (or even a driver that might strike me) in that position, I've nixed that commuting route.  

Right now there does not seem to be a feasible safer alternative (unless I want to rack up some serious miles) so commuting by bike is off the shelf.  

Yes, we want motorists to respect our right to ride.  To give us space, to slow down if necessary, and just be safe!  But we, as cyclists, have to do our part.  Obey traffic laws.  Signal your turns, be courteous.  There are assholes in every group, but the more we can do the right thing and provide a positive image for cyclists in general, the closer we can all come to sharing the road respectfully.

Be safe out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment